How can I receive a credit or have my property taxes reduced?

The credits available do not originate from the City. The State of Michigan has a homestead property tax credit that can be calculated annually as part of the income tax filing. In addition, a separate calculation is available for senior citizens for their principal residence taxes. More information on these credits can be obtained from the website or by calling 800-482-7000. Information regarding principal residence exemptions and poverty exemptions are available from the City Assessor's department at 810-629-2261.

Show All Answers

1. What are our office hours?
2. What is the difference between real and personal property taxes?
3. Can I charge my taxes on my credit card?
4. When are tax bills mailed out?
5. Can I defer my Summer taxes?
6. Can I defer my Winter taxes?
7. How can I receive a credit or have my property taxes reduced?
8. My tax bill has someone else's name on it, what should I do?
9. Where can I pay my taxes and what payment options are available?
10. I did not receive a tax bill: can you waive penalty and interest?
11. If I can't pay my tax bill on time, will it affect my credit rating?
12. What if I can't pay the tax bill when it is due?
13. If I can't pay my Summer tax bill by the due date, what is the penalty and how long can I pay at the City?
14. The taxable value or Principle Residence exemption for my property is being corrected at the board of review, should I wait for the corrected bill before paying?
15. Why can't I pay my taxes at City Hall after the last day of February?
16. My taxes are too high, how can I reduce my taxes?
17. What is the State Education Tax (SET)?
18. What is a mill?
19. I do not have children in school. Is there a property tax exemption for this?
20. My tax bill shows more than just city taxes. Why is that?
21. What is revenue sharing and how does Fenton benefit?
22. Who is the Treasurer?
23. Can I get a discount for paying my taxes early?
24. I heard City employees don’t pay taxes. Is this true?
25. Does all this money go to the City?
26. How do I claim a poverty exemption?