To defer winter property taxes, the taxpayer must meet the following criteria:
- Must have household income of $35,000 or less - except for eligible service person, veterans or their widows, who are limited to household incomes of $7,500 or less
- Must be one of the following: 62 years or older; a blind person; a paraplegic or quadriplegic; an eligible service person, eligible veteran or eligible widow or widower
- Must file a Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit claim signed and dated by February 14 (must present a copy of the front and back of the form when paying taxes at the Genesee County Treasurer's office)
- Must have either the State of Michigan refund check issued after March 1 or a copy of the check when paying taxes at the Genesee County Treasurer's office
- Must have copies of the tax bills
If all the above criteria are met, Genesee County will waive interest and penalties until April 30. Taxes must be paid in full. If you have any questions, please contact the Genesee County Treasurer's Office at 810-257-3556.