After hard work by the Fenton Freedom Festival Committee and funding commitments from the Downtown Development Authority, individuals and businesses, the City Council approved the following for this year’s festival, the first one since 2019:
• The Freedom Festival Parade
• The Fenton Firecracker Road Race
• The use of Rackham, Silver Lake and Mill Pond parks
• Informational signage to be placed in the median of Silver Parkway
Mayor Pro Tem and Festival Committee Chair Pat Lockwood said the group is excited to bring back this enormous family festival after the two years off due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Our team of non-profit organizations, volunteers, City of Fenton Police, Fire and Department of Public Works together with the Fenton Regional Chamber of Commerce invites the entire community to join in on the festivities celebrating the Independence of our Country,” Lockwood said.
The parade on July 4 begins at 10 a.m. The following is the route:
- Starts at the intersection of Industrial Way and Owen Road.
- East along West Shiawassee to LeRoy Street,
- North on LeRoy to Caroline,
- West on Caroline to West Street.
The festival runs for more than just the weekend and includes many events. They include:
- Parade grand marshal reception: Wednesday, June 29, 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the Fenton Community and Cultural Center. The reception will honor longtime community activist Linda Hathaway.
- The Silver Lake Ski Club Fourth of July Holiday Ski Show: Friday, July 1, 6:30 p.m. at Silver Lake Park. This king and queen of the festival will also be crowned. Admission is free.
In addition to the parade, activities on the Fourth of July include:
- American Legion Pancake Breakfast at the Community Center
- Crafters in the Park
- Firecracker 5K
- Rubber Duck Race beginning at noon at the Mill Pond Park gazebo
- Children’s games sponsored by the Fenton Kiwanis Club
- Barbecue dinner served by Boy Scout Troop 212
All activities last until 3 p.m. Fireworks will begin at 10 p.m. over Silver Lake Park.
By Chris Clonts, Communications Coordinator