Sewer Emergency Information

Emergency Contact Numbers

Workdays, 8 am to 5 pm: 810-629-2261

After 5 pm/Weekends/Holidays: 810-629-5311

The City of Fenton maintains about 55 miles of sanitary sewer gravity mains as well as 7 lift stations and 3.5 miles of pressurized sewer forcemains. The Department of Public Works (DPW) routinely cleans lines and provides maintenance to the pumps and piping at the lift stations. Unfortunately, problems sometimes exist within the sewer system that needs additional attention. Whenever we receive a call about a sewer backup or sewer complaint the DPW responds.

If You Are Experiencing a Sewer Back-Up

First, please contact the City of Fenton Department of Public Works to check the City's lines before calling a private plumbing firm. During regular working hours call, City Hall at 810-629-2261 and they will send out DPW to check the City's line. After 5 pm or during weekends or holidays, call Fenton Dispatch non-emergency phone number, at 810-629-5311 and the DPW will be notified. The Fenton DPW will check the City's sewer mains free of charge. Please call the City first to avoid unnecessary charges from private plumbing contractors.

The DPW will check the public sewer to determine if the backup is in the main or in the service line. Any backup caused by the public sewer main is the responsibility of the City. Action will be taken to restore the proper operation of the sanitary sewer by the DPW. A backup caused by a service line is the responsibility of the property owner and a licensed plumber should be contacted. The City ordinance states the property owner is responsible for their service line from their building to the sewer main.

If you have backflow damage, you must file a written claim with the City of Fenton within 45 days after the backup or overflow was discovered. Notice of Claim should be delivered to the City Clerk. Failure to provide the required notice within the appropriate time frame will prevent recovery of damages. Typically, the City will not reimburse for private plumbing contractor charges for any work to unplug a line if the City was not notified

Sewer Overflows

On January 2, 2002, Public Act 222 of the Public Acts of 2001 became effective. PA 222 provides that, under certain circumstances, governmental agencies that own or operate sewage disposal systems may be held liable for the overflow or backup of the system.

To pursue a claim against a governmental agency for personal injury or property damage resulting from a sewer backup, the claimant must file a written notice of the claim to the governmental agency within 45 days of the date that the damage or physical injury was discovered, or should have been discovered. If written notice is not provided within 45 days, a claimant will not be able to pursue a claim for the injuries and/or damages.

To make a claim, you may use the Notice of Claim Form (PDF) or provide a letter of notice. A written notice must include the following:

  • Your name, address, and telephone number
  • The address of the affected property
  • The date of discovery of any property damages or physical injuries
  • A brief description of your claim

Failure to provide the required notice within the appropriate time frame will prevent recovery of damages.

The information should be sent to:

City Clerk
301 S Leroy Street
Fenton, MI 48430